Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"A Walk DOWN Memory Lane"

Brianne came over last week to gather her possessions that remain in my house. I told her when she got a home of her own I would give her my Grandmother's china. To retrieve the china Bri had to go into the spooky attic. While she was in the attic, I had her look in a few more boxes. Little did I know that the treasures she would fined would bring back a flood of fond memories.

First the China and the smell of the buffet that it was stored in for so many years. I remember as a child being extremely careful as I helped set the dining room table. I remember how I loved the pussy willow pattern on it. I remember hating to put it back into the buffet to wait for another special occasion.


The silly old car mat that I had started making for the boys. I wasn't fast enough to finish it before they took the markers to it and finished it themselves. The car mat was of our old surroundings in West Jordan, Utah where we lived in the same house for 20 years. The tattered edges and faded marker were proof of the enjoyment the children got out of it. I tried to freshen it up. It still isn't finished, like in earlier days it is a work in progress. I will hide the markers from the grand kids!


This is my fondest memory. The house we raised our 3 children in. I think about the feelings of love, family, and of a neighborhood that was peaceful and safe. It brought back memories of my love for gardening and fun neighbors to chat with as we pulled weeds in our flower beds. A yard with beautiful lush grass that made an excellent ball field. The fruit trees and little garden we planted in the summer. The taste and smell of the fresh peaches in the early fall. The neighborhood children running around playing "night games" as they called them until 10:30pm .... maybe later at night. The flood of teenagers that were in and out of the house as our children grew older. The spiritual times of family prayer, scripture reading, family home evening, and preparing our boys to be sent out in the world to serve 2 year missions for our church. I know this post is too sappy for some, but I guess it is good to write down these memories that have helped mold us into who we are.

You were a good little house, in a perfect place, with the best people, thanks for the memories!

No comments: